Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Southwest Trip!

As I mentioned before last weekend I went on a 3 day trip to the Southwest coast of Australia. It was the most amaizing trip ever; so much fun!!! During the trip I traveled along the coast from Perth to Albany. Here are a few highlights from the trip!!

On Friday morning we left from Perth down south to Bunbury. First we saw one of the last standing Tuart forests which was some specific type of tree but it basically looked like a National Forest in the US. Then we headed to the Bunbury where we walked the jetty (basically a boardwalk) which is 3 km long each way.


Next we Yallingup to go the beach to hang out for a bit and eat lunch. The waves were huge! You can tell from below, as James would say, we got wrecked. Haha I got a pretty bad sand burn but it was so much fun!




From there we headed to the Ngilgi Caves. These caves were significant to Indigenous people thousands of years ago but they are still just as cool. At the lowest point in the cave you are 11 stories underground.


Margret River was our next stop. This is a popular wine country. So we stopped for a glass of wine before heading out to see the sunset. Our tour guide raced us to the southern tip of southwest Australia to Leeuwin so that we could see the sunset. At the lighthouse is where the Southern Ocean and Indian Ocean overlap. That was really pretty and awesome to see just ocean around.





For the night we stayed in the very small town of Augusta. This was my first time in a hostel and I didn't think that it was that bad. But some of my flatmates had ants in their bed and I was just happy that wasn't me haha.

Moving on to Saturday, we had an early start so that we could make it down to Albany by the end of the day. We first saw the Bicentennial Tree which was used to stop fires a century or so ago. Nowadays you can climb up the tree yourself and look around for kilometers when at the top. The tree stands at 70 meters (230 ft). To get to the top there are metal stakes hammered into the tree and some chicken wire on the righthand side to make you feel a little better. But other than that nothing else. No harness, nothing! There pictures don't do the climb justice, it was one of the scariest things I've ever done but at the same time amazing.






Next we went to the Tree Top Walk. Here there are platforms that are suspended in the air to make it feel like you are walking in the tree tops. This wasn't that scary considering the climb we did just an hour before.




From there we went to Elephant Rocks and drove through Denmark.

Another one of my favorite places that I visited were The Gap and Natures Bridge. This was a geologic formation by the sea that was just amazing. My tour guide was really interested in talking about the tectonic plates moving and all that other geological stuff that I know my Dad will enjoy this site when he comes to visit.



For the night we stayed in Albany. It was overcast and rainy so we didn't get a good sunset but the cold was a nice change for the 90 degree days that I've been experiencing since I arrived here.




On the last day we drove to the Stirling Ranges where we hiked Bluff Knoll. Even though I don't love hiking the view at the top made it worth it. I think that we went up about 1000 meters so it was pretty difficult but so rewarding in the end.



From there we headed back home to Murdoch. The trip was so much fun with all the new friends that I have made here so far and makes me even more excited for the Northwest trip which is during my first study break in two weeks.

Sorry for the extra long post. But I hope you enjoy the pictures. I have my first assignment due tomorrow  so I need to get started on the study section of study abroad.

Emily

1 comment:

  1. You look like you are having way too much fun!! I'm so glad you didn't have ants in your bed.

    ReplyDelete