Thursday, February 24, 2011

First Week of School!

Last week was my first week of school in about 2 months so I was ready to get back to school and the rhythm of everything. I am taking courses that go towards my Anthropology degree since I only have upper level classes left for Integrative Physiology. This semester I will be taking units in the Aboriginal Indigenous Studies major. I am taking Indigenous Spirituality, Indigenous Families, and Indigenous Sustainability. Two of my classes are taught by an indigenous women so it's really interesting to here her perspective on where she is from/the community and at the same time her uni perspective. My other class discusses how it isn't environmentally friendly to live in Perth or anywhere in Australia since everything has to be flown or driven out of the cities; including recycled materials. The largest difference between the CU campus and the Murdoch campus is the size. In Boulder if I see one person walking to class that I know its a good day since there are 26,000 undergrads. While Murdoch Uni has 15,000 undergrads so I see a lot of people that I know every time that I go to class.

Here are a few random pictures of the campus. I don't think that its as pretty visually as CU but I do like how its all outdoors with tons of tropical plants.


There are a lot of these outdoor seating areas to hang out at in between classes
This is the center of the campus at Bush Court. The area in the back are the main walkways which can be scene in the next picture. This is also where the market takes place on Thursday.


This is a fun place to sit and do homework next to the waterfall






This is the flower thats on the Murdoch Uni logo, the Banksia flower is located throughout the campus


Last week there was also the beginning of an art festival in Perth. Here is a clip of the didgeridoo. But other than that it was kind of boring and I left early.




I also went to my first cricket match. It was interesting to watch for about 15 minutes since its kind of like baseball. The games can last 5 days depending on the type of league the team is in. There weren't many people there, so you can get the idea that it was pretty uninteresting to watch.




Over the weekend I headed to the beach again finally since I had healed from my last sunburn. I did get burned again but this time not as bad. So I think that I am finally adjusting to the sun/heat here. While walking around in Freo I found the Round House which is the oldest building in the city dating back to the early 1800s.

Here is also a picture at the Freo Jail. Which was used for one-hundred years until the late 1980s. Hopefully one night I'll be able to go on the ghost tour there!


I'll post another update next week after my trip to Albany!

Love,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment