Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Daily Life

Here are a few pictures of things that are different or interesting about school and Perth City.

Every Wednesday and Thursday there is a market on campus that has fresh fruit and really cheap prices. There are also other stalls that sell bikes, jewelry, ect.

One thing that I thought was really different was the shopping center. K-Mart and Coles is where I do most of my shopping. But they aren't free standing stores but rather in a shopping mall with lots of other random stores. You also can push your shopping cart, trolley, back to the university and at night they come and pick all of them up.

The light switches are turned on by a switch. But there is also this weird one that you have to push a button and flick the switch. (Here to turn on the light you flick it down and up for off).


Another thing that has really tripped me up is since they drive on the other side of the road that applies in a lot of other situations. For example the aisle in the grocery store, walking to class, and walking in stairwells. That has confused me a lot because I always want to walk on the right side but that's wrong.

After being asked many times about if the toilets flush the other way here is a picture to prove that they do...I think. Now I can't remember which way they go in the US but I think that this is the opposite way.


For the short time that I've been here I've been able to try lots of different food. I ate kangaroo but it just tasted like tough beef. I also tried Vegemite on toast with butter and really liked it! Today I also tried a lychee berry/fruit I did not like it at all. Its exciting to try all these different things because it makes me feel like I'm on Bizarre Foods :)

Lychee

Something that I found surprising was the comfort that coffee brings me. Even though its been around 93 everyday having a coffee really reminds me of home. I'm used to getting one with my parents before work or studying at little coffee shops in Boulder. So getting a coffee is a treat when I feel a little homesick!

Also its been nice talking to all of my family and friends on skype so that it doesn't feel quite so far away here! Thank you!!

This weekend I am going on a trip to the Southwest down to Albany. There will be more exciting pictures from that trip that I'm excited to share with you guys.

Love,
Emily

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I love that other people have asked you about the toilet thing. :P It seriously has come up nearly every time I talk to my dad. :P Your thing about walking on the wrong side made me laugh. I've sort of gotten in the habit of it here, in preparation for my future life in London, obviously, and I get a lot of funny looks for it.

    I LOVE AND MISS YOU LOTS!

    <3

    ReplyDelete